Monday, April 17, 2006

Washinton DC...A little taste of Italy


It seems only fitting that the first post on www.tuesdaystraveler.com should be a tribute to our nation's capital, Washington DC. Known for its breathtaking monuments and great museums, I found a potato dumpling so good, that it alone could make the trip worth it.

While there are countless places to stay I chose the Renaissance Hotel on 9th Street NW. Conveniently located across the street from the new convention center, the Renaissance is appealing to business travelers. Pleasure travelers will be equally happy with its proximity to all of the DC sites. The Smithsonian, Chinatown, The National Portrait Gallery and the International Spy Museum are all within blocks, and the MCI Center is just a block away as well.

If you have never been to DC, I would recommend a day or even two going through some of the exhibits The Smithsonian has to offer. During my last visit I took in the Air and Space Museum and my jaw dropped in each and every room I went into. Even though they were now silent pieces in a museum you literally could feel the power of these great machines.

No trip to DC would be complete without getting out to see some of the incredible monuments. The new WWII monument is truly beautiful (even though in each of my last two trips to DC the water feature was empty and not working.) But it is the peaceful majesty of The Lincoln Monument that gets me. He seems so stoic. So serious. As if he is still, even now, pondering how to best run this country today.

The great thing about most metropolitan areas is the fact that many immigrants have settled there, and with them comes the flavor of their homeland. One such treat is the Italian restaurant, Filomena located on Wisconsin Avenue NW in Georgetown. Recommended by the desk clerk at the hotel, Filomena ended up being a meal I will remember the rest of my life. When I first walked up to the restaurant and saw the older Italian lady in the front window making ravioli by hand I felt it was going to special. When I tasted the potato dumpling and filet that I had for dinner I only wished that this was a place I could visit more often. The food and service were all first rate. When you dine at Filomena know that you can expect to pay between $15 and $30 for your entree but the price is well worth it. Do yourself one favor when you dine at Filomena-- save room for the homemade desserts (which are available to be shipped anywhere). The cheesecake is bite after bite of pure delight.

If you have the chance to make it to Arlington I would recommend a Mexican restaurant called Guapo's. Here you will find the best steak fajitas you will ever have. I don't say this lightly either. My friend Bob who joined me on my last visit agreed, and he was born in Mexico. I think that makes him an authority of some kind...I'm not real sure.

Everyone knows what DC holds, but this is my little glimpse into the capital of the United States. Share your thoughts about DC in the comments section.

1 Comments:

At 10:36 AM, Anonymous Kelly said...

I live in DC and I love Guapos as well. Tuesday is right...the fajitas are incredible! I haven't been to the location in Arlington though. I can only speak of the one on Wisconsin NW.

Great site. I look forward to more posts.

Kelly

 

Post a Comment

<< Home