Wednesday, May 10, 2006

Art On A Plate


If there is one thing I love it's a good meal at a nice restaurant. If you're like me you often feel the need to travel to get good food or feel as though you have to be in a new place to experience the best. That is why I was so excited when I dined at The Gallery Cafe on Main in Spring Hill Tennessee.

While the city itself has struggled to find it's identity that is not the case with the Gallery Cafe. The interior is warm and welcoming with art produced by local artists adorning the walls (the artists leave the work their on consignment and the local arts center gets a donation from every sale) and eclectic music playing letting you know something speacial takes place here. If you are lucky enough to visit on a Friday or Saturday evening you find local artists creating work while you dine. But the true star of this show is the delisious food. Chef Greg and his staff have done an incredible job fusing together European inspired dishes with a touch of southern cooking.

With shrimp cocktail and minestrone soup as the only the appetizer offerings I chose the soup. The flavors were nice and beans were cooked just right. Though I could have stood for it to be a bit warmer. I would prefer more offerings on the appetizer menu.

Caesar salads followed the soup and they hit the spot. Crisp lettuce (which is not always the case!) and a delicious home made Caesar dressing. So many times chefs feel like they need to make a home made Caesar taste fishy but that is not the case here. I did spy the house salad on another table and it looked beautiful and fresh.

For our entree my wife and I each ordered the herb encrusted filet with goat cheese. First let me say that I enjoy a good steak but this went beyond a 'good steak.' This was as perfect a piece a meat as I have had. The seasoning was perfect and the creaminess of the goat cheese provided the perfect compliment to the tender filet. Each bit we took seemed to be answered by a "mmmmmm." It was served with garlic green beans and smashed potatoes. Both seemed to compliment the filet without overpowering it.

A visit to the Gallery Cafe would not be complete without taking in some of the delicious desserts that are offered. I enjoyed the maple apple creme brulee while my wife tried the Seven Layer Chocolate Cake. Despite it's name the cake was not overly sweet and seemed the perfect finish to the perfect meal.

The Gallery Cafe has been open for just about three months now but we felt like this place had been here for years. The unique combination of art and food make this an enchanting place to eat. If you visit Nashville or middle Tennessee please find your way to The Gallery Cafe on Main in Spring Hill. It will be well worth the drive and who knows you may find that perfect piece of art for above the fireplace. Their website is in the process of being built so check back often.

1 Comments:

At 1:39 PM, Anonymous Reggie said...

The place sounds great...I love the concept of having the artists work on their art at the cafe. How cool!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home