Tuesday, August 01, 2006

Cheesey...


Brian Sezter at Pat's King of Steaks...does
he really dress like this all the time?

Today I take you on a journey to the city of brotherly love...Philadelphia where they are famous for the Liberty Bell, Idependence Hall and a little thing called a Philly Cheese Steak. In Philadelphia locals take their cheese steak very seriously. VERY.

When I found myself in Philly I had to have one of these. There are two famous establishments that claim to be the best. Geno’s Steaks and Pat’s King of Steaks. The ironic thing is these two places are located less than 100 yards from each other. They have been that way for years (Pats opened in 1931 and Geno’s followed 10 years latter). In Philly you are a Pat’s or a Geno’s fan. Kind of like Yankees – Red Sox. You just can’t like them both!

For this trip to Philly I chose Pat’s. I mean hey he is the King and if you call your self the king you must be good. After 70+ years of making steaks I would think that they would know what they were doing. To be honest though I was a bit disappointed. My steak with peppers, onions, mushrooms and provolone failed to meet the greatness I anticipated. The meat seemed bland and the peppers, onions and mushrooms were not cooked with the steak but applied on top. Perhaps integrating the ingredients has happened as the sandwich has spread west. I will give a thumb up to the fries at Pat’s. Those I found tasty.

One thing you will have to do before you order is make sure you do it right. They take this very seriously. I don’t know if they would refuse service if you ordered ‘wrong’ but I wouldn’t want to screw it up. You can go here to get the steps to ordering (they are also on the wall at Pat’s if you get nervous!).

Even though I was full when I left Pat’s I still felt empty inside. It wasn’t supposed to be like this. There were supposed to be angels singing. Every bite was to summon a yummy sound. This was supposed to be a party on the palette! But alas…there was no party. No Angels. Just full. If I go back I will walk across the street to Geno’s. Maybe they have angels singing over there.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home